Just a cosy day in Haifa


Today I had a day off so I wanted to visite Haifa. In the morning I wove the hair of Amal, the daughter in my host family, and then I started with preparing my presentation for Thursday. Just before noon I visited the Baha’i Gardens. They are artificial but so beautiful! To maintain the Gardens, their work a lot of gardeners during the day. At night their is always a guard to keep an eye on the Gardens so vandalism  doesn’t have a chance. The Gardens are built around the tomb of Baha’u’llah, the founder of Baha’i (religion). After he was executed his body was secretly transported from Iran to Israel. The ‘Bab’ chose before his dead the Karmel as his final resting place. Now it’s a pilgrimage for the Baha’i.

After my visite to the Gardens I made a very big walk through the city. I discovered  a soothing promenade. The people are just walking or sitting on a bench. The silence was so relaxing! I took place in the grass and just watched the people who are passing by. The difference between Illut and Haifa is gigantic. Most of the people are dressed very modern, they sport (running, stretching) in public and you can’t see a sign of their religion. Of course you also see conservative people. Like orthodox Jews with their black coat, keppel/hat and pipe curls.

By following the promenade I arrived at the Immigration and Naval museum. I saw a submarine and an old military boat. In the museum you can discover the most important (military) events in the maritime history of Israel. Elijah’s cave is not far from the museum so I climbed the stairs and visited the Cave. It’s a holy place for Jewish people because Elijah (a prophet) challenged  on Mount Carmel the prophets of Baal. The view from here, over the mediterranean sea. I walked over the bridge in the direction of the sea and followed the promenade. I ate at the beach and just enjoyed the sounds of the waves.

At 5 p.m. I came home because Laila and her husband had to work so I promised to take care of the children. First I helped them with their homework, then we drove the bike and we ate together. After dinner Amal and me cleaned the kitchen and I played with the boys a soccer game on the Playstation.

No comments: