My last day with Yasmines family

06/05/2012

Yesterday at 6 a.m. Yasmines mother came into the room and woke us. She and her husband wanted to take us to Akko. Of course I want to go! We drove one hour before we arrived. This city is so beautiful. There are two parts: te new one, where the most of the people live, and the old centre. We went to the old centre and it’s like a labyrinth with all the small streets. The small houses on the side of those streets were built the old fashioned way. Akko is a city close to the sea and is surrounded by a big wall. It used to serve as protection against a possible attack during wars. In some places there were stairs so you can climb the wall. On those spots you had the greatest view over the sea. It gave me goosebumps…In Akko are several religion places: St. John’s Church, St. George Church, El-Jazzar Mosque and the Oh Torah synagogue. By accident is passed the synagogue while there was a meeting with some rabbis. They were dressed in long, black vestment and wore a black had (=Sjtreimel). Because of Sabbath there was also a performance of a Jewish group, dressed in army clothing. They made music and shouted Jewish words (that I don’t understand). Yasmines parents showed me the ‘Sooks’. It’s like an covered market where retailers sell food and clothes.

After the trip we went to a restaurant close to Nazareth. We ate grilled chicken, taboule (=typical salad) and humus. The food was realy delicious and I love the Arabic kitchen. Back home I visited Yasmines family who lives at the complex. They were talking and I tried to understand their language. While I was listening, I thought about the habits of the family. I told you before that they avoid the sun but I noticed something more: the house are also protect against the sun. The walls are thick and the windows are very small. During the day the rolling shutters are down so the house will be cool at night. I visited other places and their I can note the same. Maybe this is typical for Yasmines family: the always take the car, even if the distance is very short.

On 05/05 (beautiful date by the way) Yasmines sister gave birth to her second daughter. The family asked me to go with them to see the baby. In the hospital I could hold the baby. She was just so small! I don’t know how tall she is, but she weighs 3,9 kg. Her mom is very slim, even when she was pregnant when I met her. So it’s hard to believe that she carried this baby. It must be hard with such a temperature! In Belgium we give sugared almonds but here they give Smarties or coloured round candy. After this visite I went back to Yasmines house and said goodbye to her family: the grandmother and –father, her uncles en aunts and all the children. They gave me presents and a lot of kisses. The grandmothers told me that I should come back because she will miss me. The Arabic people always give two kisses, first on the right cheek and then left. On the left cheek you have to give several kisses quick after each other, cheeck to cheek. Then you pull back and give one more kiss on the left cheeck. Really hard to explain!

At 7 p.m. we left the house to go to a wedding. The women wore make-up, beautiful clothes with glitters, high heels and decorated kerchiefs. Their hands were coloured by henna. Men and women don’t celebrate the wedding together but the two parties were next to each other and we could hear the music. The bride wore a beautiful white dress! All the women are sitting together and talk but the bride had to sit in a central place so everybody can see her. She just looked around and laughed. After an hour (you can compare it with a reception but without something to eat or drink) we were invited to dinner. We ate rice with pine nuts, warm yoghurt (sauce) and sheep meat. As dessert you could choose between nuts, dates and sweet pastry. It’s not customary to stay at the table after you ate. The women were invited to watch the men dancing but from a distance. The music has a lot a rhythm and after a while the women start dancing. Some girls asked me to dance with them so I did. We had so much fun together!

This morning I said goodbye to Yasmines parents and her mother cried. It was s osweet! I will miss my new Arabic family so hard…
I will keep you posted about my new adventures!

No comments: