Saturday schoolday?

Yes, you are reading correct! Saturday is schoolday at Ein Mahel, we went to the elementary school in the village to visit the principal. We talked about my internship and the new school, it's only been there for one year so everything is new. The principal told me that I was a daredevil because I didn't bring Belgian Chocolates, he loves them! For my next visit I will bring him some bars! At the school there were also Americans from an organisation to teach English in the Arab schools. We joined them to brainstorm about the program and exchange some ideas, they are really excited to give the lessons. Hereafter we went for a lunch with the principal, the teachers, the Americans and the parents organisation. The food was really nice and all the people did a great effort. There was shoarma, falafel, salads In the school I noticed that the pupils were wearing an uniform, they all had the same T-shirt also I noticed that they are a lot of menly teachers among the squad, in Belgium it's usually women that teach at elementary schools. I exchanged my mailing adress with the principal and he would contact me to set up a program.

Sunday schoolday? Yes, you are reading correct! Today I stood up at 5.30 am and I packed my bags because I was going to a new host family. Tawfeeks mother prepared a good and big breakfast and we said goodbye, I was feeling sad because it is a really nice family to stay with. At the school we had to wait 3 hours for the first lesson because the only direct bus to school from Ein Mahel is at 6 am. Sitting there is was thinking about my week with Tawfeek and how it's gone so fast. We talked with some students from Ein Mahel and one of them invited me to her English class. Arriving at the classroom I presented myself and the students got to work, she had to write a text about a subject and describe it. Her subject was 'Heaven' so I helped her out a little bit. The level of English was average for me but they used some words that I didn't hear off yet. The teacher was a Canadian doctor that is now giving lessons at the college, in the class there was also a girl and I thought she was from Europa but they told me her mother is Canadian and her father is Arabic. She had to present a snack and to everyones suprise she brought the snack for everybody, really kind!

We had to leave in a rush because we had a meeting with doctor Taha about the rest of my internship. We decided that I could stay at Ein Mahel and work for a week in the elementary school. I hoped I could stay with Tawfeek but the principal of the school will look for a new host family. It's a pity because the house of Tawfeek is at walking distance from the school, so it couldn't be easier. I took the bus back with a double feeling: staying at Ein Mahel but leaving Tawfeek. Arriving at the house his mother was very happy that I was back and the neighbours also. His father tould me that I had come back because I couldn't say goodbye.

Tomorrow I will normally go to the elementary school and stay at a new host family. You can't say sure here because everything can suddenly change.

Greetings and a note to myself: Don't forget the chocolates Jens!

No comments: